Friday, June 22, 2012

Diastat and Keppra for Corbin

Now for the more important things in life:  SEIZURES!  So he’s had 10 seizures in less than 2 years. I don’t know about you, but that’s about ten too many for me to have to deal with.  Now granted they all were fever induced, the first is just as scary as the last. He was admitted to the hospital for 3 days due to a cluster of 3 seizures, leading up to him having to miss out on his LAST tee ball game of the year, awards day, and trophies.  I must say im one very proud mama.  My 3 year old son won top seller of sun drops out of the entire league this year. He even sold more cases than the older kids too, not just his t ball team. But the ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!!! My Corbin got out there and sold 25 cases of sun drops and other beverages. MY CORBIN!..... YES…. MY…. CORBIN …..HAHA…. sun drop bottling company presented him with a special gift. Thank goodness my friend Dana picked it and his trophy up for us, so we could stay with Corbin at the hospital.  Dr. Mangru felt that Corbin needed some medicine at home to stop the seizures. So I asked him to refer us to Vanderbilt.  We confirmed our appointment with Dr. Anderson, pediatric neurologist, in the pediatric neuromuscular clinic in cool springs, TN.  Friday just couldn’t come fast enough. Having to wait 3 long weeks before he could get in to see the doctor, those days dragged slowly by. I felt terrible because Allen wasn’t able to make it to this appointment because he had to work. I know he felt the same way! I mean were going to a doctor that may or may not change our lives forever. So my aunt went along with me, because I needed her to watch Corbin while I had my appointments at Vanderbilt done as well. We got there, got him signed in, filled out the paper work and insurance stuff. Then he gets called back. I was nervous and excited at the same time. My poor heart didn’t know what was going on. J We get back there, and the nurse is asking me all kinds of questions, from “what he was doing before the seizure?”  “What did he look like while having a seizure? How long did EACH one last? Did he turn blue? Was there more than one? What did you do for him after the seizure was over?  She was on top of her game.  She leaves the room and Dr. Anderson came in, and examined him. Corbins head measured out to be rather large. That’s ok, just means more room for more brain. He literally examined him from head to toe.  I remember him asking if corbin had any difficulty swallowing, in that case he did when he was a baby. (He aspirated on his formula, but passed the swallow study.) he would sometimes gag on baby food. So his TEIS teacher worked with him to get him better at eating.  he informed me that  he thinks corbin may have a condition called “mild congenital ptosis”, in other words, droopy eyelids. Now, when Corbin was in the NICU, We were informed that he might need reconstructive surgery on his eyes and jaw, because his facial bones were too small for his eyes, chin, and tongue. But luckily his head grew in normal, and large, so we didn’t have to put or precious baby through that kind of surgery. But the ptosis can cause a lazy eye, which is already noticeable on Corbin, and some cases it causes vision loss, just because the levator muscle in the eyelid malfunctions, and either stops working or doesn’t work at all, and the lid will start slowly covering the pupil, to where they either hold the head back and chin up to see below the lid or constantly raise the eye brows to lift the lid off the pupil. In carbines case he lifts his eyebrows.  Corbin has to go see his ophthalmologist at Vanderbilt children’s hospital about the condition.  The doctor says some cases they just wear a patch or glasses, but in some cases surgery would have to be done. Until we go see the eye doctor we won’t know anything else about this. Besides it’s considered “cosmetic surgery”, until it starts affecting the vision, then it would be classified as a medical issue.  He put Corbin on 2 anticonvulsants.  Diastat and Keppra.  The diastat is only used for when he is having a seizure, only to help stop it. The Keppra is taken 2 times a day, until further notice. He had and EEG done Tuesday. Sadly I didn’t get to make it because I have been in the hospital myself. But Allen says everything went well, and the doctor didn’t see anything abnormal. THANK YA JESUS!  But now were waiting on them to schedule a brain MRI. It has to be done at VCH because he has to be sedated for it. But… that’s all we know for now…
I’m almost caught up on all this blogging… my hands have literally cramped up because of all this typing!  J It’s well worth it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment